Scroll to the bottom and check out the points! FOR REAL! I think Spawn and I will check this out next week. I love pasta, but can only have it sparingly. Whole Wheat…
- Total Time: 1 hr + 35 min
- Yield: 12
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
2 tablespoons light butter
3 cloves Garlic, Minced
1 medium onion diced
1 pound Ground Beef 93% lean
1 can (28 Ounce Can) Whole Tomatoes, With Juice (or Petite Diced Tomatoes)
2 cups Marinara Sauce
2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
Salt And Pepper, to taste
16 ounces, weight Ziti Noodles (I don’t know if it’s Weight Watcher or Whole Wheat. I’m going to assume Whole Wheat)
1 tub (15 Ounce) Part Skim Milk Ricotta Cheese
8 oz part skim Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 whole Egg
Fresh Minced Parsley
- Heat butter in a pot over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for several minutes, or until starting to soften. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain off fat, leaving a bit behind for flavor and moisture.
- Add tomatoes, marinara sauce, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Stir and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. After that time, remove 3 to 4 cups of the sauce to a different bowl to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups of the grated mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, and salt and pepper. Stir together just a couple of times (do not mix completely).
- Drain the pasta and rinse under cool water to stop the cooking and cool it down. Pour it into the bowl with the cheese mixture and toss to slightly combine (there should still be large lumps.) Add the cooled meat sauce and toss to combine.
- Add half the coated pasta to a large casserole dish or lasagna dish. Spoon half of the remaining sauce over the top. Repeat with another layer of the coated pasta, the sauce, and top it off with remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Smart Points: 8
Makes 12 servings total
I know how you feel Richard. I know how you feel!